Ingredients for making Viennese pastry roll-pie
- Fresh milk (any fat content) 250 grams
- Sugar (based on the calculation of dough 40 grams, put 50 grams in the filling) total 90 grams
- Chicken egg 2 pcs.
- Wheat flour 500 grams
- Fresh yeast (can be replaced with dry) 15 grams (40 grams will be needed)
- Lemon zest will need about half a lemon
- Seedless raisins (pre-steamed) 70 grams
- Poppy seeds 50 grams
- Walnuts 50 grams
- Butter 60 grams
- Salt as you wish
- Main Ingredients Eggs, Nuts, Flour
- World cuisineAustrian cuisine
Inventory:Bowl for kneading flour, Cutting board, Sharp knife, Kitchen stove, Baking sheet, Cutlery, Serving plate or portioned dishes, Rolling pin, Table scissors
Cooking Viennese pastry roll:
Step 1: Prepare the dough.In order to make an excellent dough, you need to buy homemade eggs on the market (they will give a beautiful yellow color to our dish), fresh warm milk (you need to heat it a little before cooking, putting it in a bowl with hot water), and, of course sift the flour through a sieve so that we do not have lumps in the dough. It is not necessary to take fresh yeast, since a bag of dried ones is also quite suitable. You will not notice any difference. And so we begin to knead the dough: 1 cup flour, warm milk, grind the yeast by hand and put in a bowl, 40 grams of sugar, salt to taste. Mix thoroughly, I have it right away, and sometimes after 5-10 minutest, starts to swell a little. Immediately begin to add the remaining flour, chicken eggs, butter (before starting, I usually melt it and cool it). The resulting dough should be gently kneaded and not pester, then it will turn out as we need. At the very end of the batch, we spread the zest of half a lemon and again mix everything well so that the zest is evenly distributed. In order for the dough to fit well, you need to put it about for 1 hour in a warm place. There it should rise and look plump and at the same time elastic. After the necessary time, we take out the dough, roll it with a rolling pin, sprinkle with sugar (50 grams is enough), roll it out again, add poppy seeds, chopped walnuts (before chopping, I usually for 5 minutes I put it in a preheated oven, so it will be easier to handle them when chopping), raisins (it must be steamed and then put on a terry towel so that the raisins lose a little moisture and have a “velvet” taste). To quickly and conveniently make a beautiful roll from our dough, I usually moisten my hands with sunflower oil and turn it into a ring. We should get a big bagel on the table.
Step 2: Make a beautiful figure.We take sharp scissors and make cuts around the entire circumference. Then we need to slightly extend two petals to the edge of the table, and put the third one in the center of our donut so that it is inside. And so on around the circle of our pie roll. All the petals formed in the center are joined together. Beat the egg and grease the dough. This is most conveniently done with a culinary brush. We put a little in a warm place so that the dough rises. 30-40 minutes will be quite enough.
Step 3: Baking the product.Preheat the oven up to 220 degreesc, put the pie on a baking sheet and put it in the oven up to 10 minutes at this temperature. Later lower the temperature to 180 degrees and leave our roll cake there for 20-25 minutes.
Step 4: Serve the Viennese pastry pie roll.Our roll cake will turn out to be very beautiful in appearance and pleasant to taste. Cool it at room temperature, cut into portioned pieces and serve with tea or other drinks. Good appetite!
- - If you have a bread machine at home, then the dough can also be prepared in it. The main thing is to set the mode of kneading test. And then we do everything according to plan, as described above.
- - It is necessary to store the pie by covering it with a clean kitchen towel so that it remains soft for as long as possible.
- - For better baking of the product, and also so that the cake does not stick to the baking sheet, it must first be covered with parchment for baking. If desired, it can be additionally greased with a small amount of vegetable or melted butter.